Thursday, June 19, 2014
Back to the Classics Challenge 2014: Mid-Year Check In (and Giveaway!!!)
Well, it's almost halfway through 2014, so I thought I'd check in and see how everyone's doing with the Back to the Classics Challenge!! I'm really proud to say that I've actually finished seven of the eleven categories -- and I can count my current read, Moby-Dick, for number eight! I'm quite proud because I've deliberately chosen not to count books from my other big challenge, the TBR Pile Challenge, towards this challenge, thinking this would inspire me to read even more books off my own shelves. I've also decided not to repeat any authors, to try and vary my selections.
Here's what I've read (and watched) so far:
20th Century Classic: The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West
Classic by a Woman Author: The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton
Classic about War: The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck
Classic by an Author That's New To Me: The Post-Office Girl by Stefan Zweig
Historical Fiction Classic: Sapphira and the Slave Girl by Willa Cather
Classic Adapted into a Movie or TV Series: He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope
TV Series Adaptation: He Knew He Was Right BBC Miniseries
I really liked all of them but if I had to choose, my two favorites so far would be The Post-Office Girl and The Glimpses of the Moon. Now I only have four categories left: 19th Century Classic; Classic in Translation; American Classic; and Classic Mystery, Suspense, or Thriller. Right now I'm reading Moby-Dick which I'll count for either my 19th Century or American Classic, I haven't decided which.
And how is everyone else doing? I'm so pleased with all the links I've seen posted already! And to thank everyone who's signed up, I'm offering a midpoint giveaway!!! Yes, to further entice everyone to reading even more classics, one lucky winner will receive a beautiful Penguin Clothbound Classic of his or her choice (up to US $20).
Here are the rules for the giveaway:
1. To enter, you must already be signed up for the Challenge (sorry, the last day to sign up was back in March.) If you are not already on this list, you are NOT ELIGIBLE.
2. Challenge participants must have linked at least one review for the 2014 Back to the Classics Challenge. If you're signed up and you haven't linked any reviews left, the cutoff date is July 1.
3. Any new links must follow the guidelines originally set for the challenge.
4. Challenge participants must leave a comment below telling which book they've most enjoyed reading for this challenge. If you want, you can also tell me which Penguin Clothbound Classic (valued up to $20) you'd choose if you're the lucky winner. Include an email or link to your blog so I can contact you if you've won!!
5. Contest winners will receive their choice of a Penguin Clothbound Classic with a value up to $20 from Amazon.com or The Book Depository.com. Contest winner must live in a country where they can receive delivery from either Amazon or The Book Depository. If you're not sure if The Book Depository ships to your home country, you can check here.
6. Comments and links must be posted no later than July 1 at 11:59 p.m., U.S. Central Standard Time. On July 2, I'll announce a winner.
7. Winner must contact me with a good address no later than July 7, or I'll pick another winner.
So what are you waiting for? Post your reviews, pick your favorite Clothbound Classic and tell me in the comments below!! I can't wait to give a prize away!