Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Classics Spin for the Classics Club
So, The Classics Club has come up with a fun idea for choosing a classic book to read: participants choose twenty unread books off their Classics Club to-read list, numbered one to twenty. Then, next Monday, the club posts a random number, and that's the book off the list we have to choose, to be finished by April 1. Sounds fun!
Updated: the selection for the Classics Spin was #14. So I'm reading The Mystery of Mrs. Blencarrow by Margaret Oliphant. I'm looking forward to it!
I have selected the following books for my possible read:
Five books that scare me a little:
1. The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hacek
2. Kipps by H. G. Wells
3. Giants in the Earth by A. E. Rolvaag
4. I, Claudius by Robert Graves
5. Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
Five books I can't wait to read:
6. The Masterpiece by Emile Zola
7. Twilight Sleep by Edith Wharton
8. The Edwardians by Vita Sackville-West
9. Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck
10. Rachel Ray by Anthony Trollope
Five books I'm neutral about:
11. Bel Ami by Guy de Maupassant
12. One of Ours by Willa Cather
13. Theater by W. Somerset Maugham
14. The Mystery of Mrs. Blencarrow by Margaret Oliphant
15. The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West
Five big fat books I'd love to cross off the list:
16. Orley Farm by Anthony Trollope
17. Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson
18. The Earth by Emile Zola
19. A Dance to the Music of Time (First Movement) by Anthony Powell
20. Miss Marjoribanks by Margaret Oliphant
I want to read all of them, so I think no matter what I'll be happy (unless I end up hating it, especially if it's a long book!) And almost every one of them is from my TBR bookcase, so I'll probably have another of those crossed off the list -- or one that's been on my to-read list for a long time.
Which books are the best? And has anyone else signed up for this? Send me a link so I can look at your Classics Spin list!