I've signed up for Peril the Second, so I'm planning on reading at least two books for the challenge in September and October, maybe more. I'm also hoping to read at least one short story collection -- I think I have four or five Gothic or ghost story collections on my to-read shelf already! I'm definitely going to try and read books that are already owned and unread, or have been on my to-read list a long time.
Here's my list of potential titles:
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith
- My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
- The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett
- The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones
- The Victorian Chaise Longue by Marghanita Laski
- Affinity by Sarah Waters
- The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells
- Tales of Mystery and the Macabre by Elizabeth Gaskell
- The Virago Book of Ghost Stories
- Short stories by Edgar Allen Poe
So -- any suggestions? Anyone else participating, and if so, what are you reading for the challenge? I'm looking forward to it!