Oh, how I love my Victorians. My love affair with them probably started years ago, when I first read Jane Eyre in college. I really hit my stride with the Victorians a few years ago when I became with pretty much obsessed with Dickens. Which led to Gaskell. And Trollope, and Thackeray, and Wilde, and Hardy. . . . I recently checked my Goodreads list, and I've read about 50 Victorians since I started my quest to read more classics in 2005.
So it's time for me to share the love! In honor of Allie's Victorian Celebration (and my birthday), I've decided to host a giveaway. One winner will receive his or her choice of any Victorian novel I've ever reviewed on this blog -- whether I liked it or not! I've gone back and counted, and since I started blogging in 2009 I've reviewed 21 Victorian novels, plus one play. For the purposes of this giveaway, I'm only counting works published in England during the reign of Queen Victoria, from 1837 to 1901.
So here's a recap, year by year, of all my Victorian novel reviews since I started this blog, with links:
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
The Warden by Anthony Trollope
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
A House to Let by Charles Dickens
The Cranford Chronicles by Elizabeth Gaskell
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
The Making of a Marchioness by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith
Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens
Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope
Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
Lots of great choices, so enter now! Here's how the giveaway is going to work:
1. To enter, simply leave a comment with your choice of any of the above Victorian novels, and tell me why you want to read it. Have you read another work by the same author? Was my review so intriguing that you're now dying to read that book? Do you just like the pretty cover? Normally I choose the winner at random, but this time around, I'm simply going to pick the comment that I like the best, so be creative!
2. The drawing will close on 5 p.m. Sunday, June 17, Central Standard Time (U.S).
3. I'll be shipping the book via The Book Depository, so if you live outside the U.S. or Britain, check here to see if they ship to your country. (I reserve the right to send via another online retailer if the winner lives in the U.S.)
4. You must leave some kind of contact in your comment, if it doesn't automatically link to your blog.
5. I will announce the winner by 11:59 p.m. Sunday, June 17, the same day as the drawing ends. I'll post it on the blog the same day. I'll also contact the winner, either via his or her blog, or by the email address provided.
6. The winner must contact me within 48 hours, or I'll choose another winner.
7. I'll choose a very nice paperback edition for the winner (probably Penguin or Oxford World's Classics).
So -- please leave your giveaway entries in the comments below. I can't wait to see what everyone chooses! Happy reading!